They look like alien life forms but they are actually jellyfish swarming through Norway’s fjords.
The invertebrates, which range in size from one centimetre to a metre, were photographed as they hunted for plankton on the surface of the water.
Photographer Espen Rekdal’s images capture the colours and striking patterns of each translucent being in intricate detail.
Some look like parachutes as they float through the water, dragging their tendrils behind them. Others appear to light up the dull waters with their ethereal glow.
Rekdal said: “The deep sea jellyfish, featured here is a special phenomena occurring in only a couple of special fjords. These jellyfish are found worldwide in very deep water. But here in Norway there are a couple of deep fjords were they come up from the deep to feed during the night.”
"Like vampires their cellular structures disintegrate when hit by daylight and they quickly return to the depths at the break of dawn."
Rekdal, from Romslo, near Bergen, was able to take the shots by diving with specialist underwater camera equipment.
His camera was carefully housed in aluminium watertight casings which have glass portholes to photograph through.
He admitted taking the photographs was no easy task. Even the slightest movement or flash of light could send his subjects diving out of sight.
He said: “Light use is kept to a minimum as the jellyfish quickly react to the light and seek refuge in deeper water.”
The jellyfish, some up to a meter in diameter when arms are extended, swarm in the hundreds, all strutting their arms in hope of catching prey.
"The tricky part is to approach the jellyfish slowly and with as little light as to not warn them of your presence. After the first shot is fired the jellyfish will turn and head for deeper water. Getting good shots is a challenge."
- by Sarah C. Nelson, Huffington Post
- All photos ©Espen Rekdal/Solent
162 Notes/ Hide
- rainydaysmile reblogged this from ichthyologist and added:
- arcanavitae reblogged this from incogpollywog
- eristiel reblogged this from norgesgard
- zycomeans likes this
- zycomeans reblogged this from starlight-and-dreams
- eunjiarism likes this
- starlight-and-dreams reblogged this from karsk-og-kofter
- otaku-4-life likes this
- ocarinaofkawaii reblogged this from derschlange
- mountainmagnolia reblogged this from thetwerkingpasta
- derschlange reblogged this from norgesgard and added:
- eristiel likes this
- thetwerkingpasta reblogged this from norgesgard
- norgesgard reblogged this from vedvorshender
- vedvorshender reblogged this from karsk-og-kofter
- vedvorshender likes this
- karsk-og-kofter reblogged this from theecolologist
- trouver-ta-joie-de-vivre reblogged this from timebleeder
- timebleeder reblogged this from nefohnetla
- plurdledgabbleblotchits likes this
- brutalosophy likes this
- villageofowl likes this
- thumpersbullshit reblogged this from kleinen-gelben-vogel
- kleinen-gelben-vogel reblogged this from incogpollywog
- orbiculator likes this
- incogpollywog reblogged this from ecdysozoa
- therandompeach likes this
- brookelinaa reblogged this from justaquickquestion
- justaquickquestion reblogged this from darlingdaring
- onlybymutiny likes this
- ilikeforyoutobestill likes this
- foundbetweentwolungs likes this
- darlingdaring reblogged this from ushishir
- jeremylawson likes this
- srta-kubelik reblogged this from ushishir
- srta-kubelik likes this
- herby-mammal reblogged this from ushishir and added:
- creewillow reblogged this from ushishir
- ushishir reblogged this from somuchscience
- somuchscience reblogged this from ichthyologist
- 4umbt likes this
- radiant-illuminoid likes this
- cityparkdog reblogged this from fired-earth
- starfisching reblogged this from technicolourtoads
- dynamikequilibrium reblogged this from fired-earth
- genevievejik likes this
- bluenugget reblogged this from jimmy-carrs-laugh
- destructicons likes this